- Pick your Icing. The icing is what your cake is covered with. Generally, you can choose between whipped cream or buttercream. Whipped cream is non-dairy and light, while buttercream is more rich and sweet. Keep in mind that buttercream does a better job at holding small decorations like beads.
- Choose your bread. This is the most important part for the flavor of your cake.
- Choose your filling. The filling is what goes in between the bread of your cake. Cake with just bread is too boring so you need to choose a filling. Generally, you will choose between a mousse or a cream. Then, decide if you want fruit as well.
- Choose your decoration. Bringing in a photo of a cake you like is highly recommended. Unless it is a unique shape, decide if the cake is to be round, square, flat, or tiered.
- Size it up. Below I’ve added a sizing chart for cakes. Square cakes are generally measured in sheets and round cakes, in inches.
Bringing a picture of the decoration you want helps the decorator give you exactly what you are looking for. We recommend printing it out and writing any edits with pen on paper.